Inexpensive Bathroom Remodel
Too many people spend thousands of dollars to remodel their bathrooms. Many feel that they have to hire a contractor, get the best finishes and spend tons of money to get exactly what they want. The truth is that you can do an inexpensive bathroom remodel and still have beautiful finishes. Here are the steps for doing the project.
Bathroom Remodeling Inexpensive
The Steps of Inexpensive Bathroom Remodel
- Limit Your Tile – Tile gets expensive, especially when you hire a contractor to lay it all out for you. To save money, limit the amount of tile and focus on high-impact areas like the floor (instead of the floor and inside the shower stall walls). Alternatively, you could tile one horizontal strip along the wall and paint the rest.
- Save on Counter Tops – So how can you save here? First, look at the color. Neutral colors like tan, brown, and light beige are more popular, which means they’re more expensive. To save money, consider and price out a wider swath of colors. Another way to save on granite countertops is to buy a slab containing imperfections. The more visible the imperfection, the cheaper the price will be. Keep in mind that your sink basin will take up a lot of surface area, so if the imperfection is located where the sink or faucets will be then you won’t see it anyway. Right now, one of the biggest trends in bathrooms is also one that budget DIYers can pull off with style. The trend is using old dressers as sink pedestals. You simply cut out the top of the dresser to accommodate a sink insert, cut into or remove interior drawers as necessary, and cut holes in the back for plumbing. These “dresser sinks” can sell for thousands of dollars in retail stores, but you can easily make your own with a budget dresser, some patience, and the right tools.
- Paint – It you don’t have a lot to spend, then repainting will be the cheapest and, perhaps, the most effective way to give your bathroom a new look. Another thing to consider is the moisture. Since mold and mildew develop easily in a bathroom, and humidity and temperature change often, it’s a good idea to invest in high quality paint with a satin finish. You may also want to go over the ceiling with a special bathroom paint that helps resist the growth of mold.
- Update Fixtures – Next, look at the little details. You can update light fixtures, sink faucets, towel racks, and drawer pulls for a relatively small investment. These items may seem insignificant, but updating them can make a big difference in your bathroom’s look.
- Freshen Caulk and Grout – Another often overlooked, yet important detail, is grout and caulk. When this gets grimy, it gets unsightly. By simply cleaning the grout and adding straight, clean lines of caulk around the tub and sink, you can add sparkle for a mere few dollars. You might be surprised at what a difference this can make. Grout and caulk are both cheap, so this is a very inexpensive way to freshen up your bathroom.
- Redo, Don’t Buy New – Replacing your old tub or shower is going to cost you a pretty penny. Instead, have it professionally relined, which is much cheaper. However, don’t try this with sink and shower fixtures as it costs more to refinish them than to replace them. Refinishing these fixtures is more expensive because very few people decide to do it unless they have old, vintage pieces, and contractors who offer this service often charge a premium price.
- Buy Used – You can also save money on fixtures, even toilets and showers, if you purchase them used. Scour sites like eBay and Craigslist or head over to the nearest Habitat for Humanity ReStore, which specifically sells home necessities such as doors, mirrors, sinks, toilets, and tubs.
- Go Green with Upgrades – When updating your bathroom, don’t forget to redesign with the environment in mind. Low-flow toilets, sinks, and shower heads will not only help you conserve water, but they’ll also save you money. Plus, water-saving shower heads and faucets often cost the same, if not less, than traditional ones. So you won’t have to spend money to save money here.
Cheap Bathroom Remodel
The Tips of Inexpensive Bathroom Remodel
After getting to know the steps for remodeling your bathroom inexpensively, you should also pay attention to these tips for cheap bathroom remodel.
The first tip, one of the best ways to remodel your bathroom inexpensively is to do as much of the work yourself as possible. Do some research to find out what things you could easily do yourself and what you will need help with. Things like paint, flooring, changing out light fixtures and installing a new mirror or vanity are all things that most home owners can do with some research. However things like lighting, plumbing or major structural changes are things you should leave to the professionals.
The second tip, if at all possible, leaves the basic footprint of the room alone. Try not to move things like plumbing, lighting and walls because doing so gets very costly. See if there are other solutions to your layout problems that won’t break your budget. You would be surprised how much money this one tip could save you.
The third tip, for cosmetic issues in your remodel, see if they can be fixed with paint. Remove wallpaper and put up a few coats of fresh paint, paint your light fixtures to update their look inexpensively or even paint your pink or green tub a clean white using a paint kit specifically designed for the job. If you want to get rid of something because it simply doesn’t look good, see if you can paint it for an inexpensive update.
The fourth tip, though you may want to get real stone flooring, granite countertops and a cherry wood vanity, these items can be extremely expensive. However, you can typically get the look of these expensive finishes for much less. For example, instead of real stone flooring, why not use ceramic tile made to look like stone to get the same look for less. Another inexpensive option is purchase a laminate countertop made to look like granite. So whatever look you are going for in your bathroom remodel, be sure to look for less expensive options to get the same look for less.
Finally, make sure that you always use coupons for the items you are buying for your remodel. Stores like Lowe’s and Home Depot always have some kind of coupon available to help you save money. Take advantage of these coupons to significantly bring down the cost of your bathroom remodel. So if you are looking to remodel your bathroom, it does not have to be expensive. Use these tips to bring down the cost of your remodeling project. Remember that so long as you are happy with the end result, a bathroom remodel does not have to cost a fortune. So start gathering your coupons, paint, inexpensive finishes and get to work.
Cheap Bathroom Renovation
By little of your patience in gathering information and searching cheap accessories, you can do your inexpensive bathroom remodel quickly and completely.